Friday, January 16, 2009

Cakes, Cakes, Cakes

Oh, boy! I thought I might have bitten off more than I could chew with our birthday party:-) I really wanted to make Anika a castle cake and Andrew a spider man cake for their party. I had made their cakes last year so I was feeling confident (cocky???). I finished Drew's last night and I was pleased with my simple cake.



Today, Anika and I tackled her "castle cake". We had watched an online video and were all set to go. . . I guess I struggle with the fundamentals because the biggest pain was icing the thing! (I didn't line the layers up and I ended up with a leaning tower - that made it difficult to frost. My imaginative little girl made Mommy feel better when she told me that it was leaning because the "white witch" was trying to knock it over with her wand!!) All the work was worth it and my little princess was beside herself -- and it went over well at the party too. (I thought I would just be taking off the decorative sugar cubes, cones and sugar waffers, but the little girls were so excited to eat those too.)

In process:
Final product:


4 comments:

Shanelle said...

Wow, I am *so* impressed!

Van Lente Family said...

I have made all of the kids' cakes so far... they all lean!! I am no professional but it is fun to make them and have the kids' input also!! Great job

The VM Family said...

Wow! Your castle cake beats the drawbridge off my castle cake! Ella saw these pictures and said, "I want THAT castle cake for my next birthday."

Anonymous said...

Heidi,
Those are some cute cakes. I just had the priveldge of making Olivia a princess cake for her birthday. It turned out so cute too! 4&5 must be the age for Princesses!