Monday, April 12, 2010

Spring Break 2010: Day Three

Our last day in Monterey was VERY eventful:-) We took a 2 hour whale watching tour out on Monterey Bay. It was a beautiful day! However, for some reason, I didn't consider the seasickness factor in our little cruise. I know that I have a tendency to motion sickness but I know a few tricks to get by -- focus on the horizon, keep cool, etc. Somehow, I ended up inside the cabin with two little ones - it wasn't long before Mom was hanging off the back of the boat "feeding the fishes" ;-) For some reason it was quite "swellish" heading out and lots of people were experiencing a less than pleasant ride. The wonderful crew sat with Kathryn, who had fallen asleep, so I could recover in the back. I spent the rest of the two hours there - with Anika & Andrew in turn, as they also began to feel poorly. Dad was kept busy holding a sleeping Kathryn and ferrying a terrified Andrew inside (where he felt safe but would get sick) to the outside (were he felt better but was scared to death). By the end, Andrew was known by everyone on the boat as the kid who thought he was going to "drowned" everytime the boat dropped. We did get to see a few gray whales which was really neat. And all of us were able to spot at least one. The ride back was dramatically better so I don't think my kids are too traumatized by the event. We took a nice slow walk back to the van and enjoyed the beach. Then we were on the road to Chino to see Lloyd's parents.

Sea Lions on the breakwater:

A gray whale:

At the beach:




None the worse for wear:

1 comment:

VM Family said...

Oh no, you guys! I feel terrible! Especially since I could have warned you. You see, the reason I was SURE we weren't going to use those tickets again was becuase the same thing happened to me. I truly thought it was because I was pregnant at the time, though, so I didn't want to worry you. :(

Seasickness aside, I love reading your Monterey recap and am happy that your family had as good of a getaway as we had there.